Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Latest NEWS -- 5/6/08

Rangers Looking at Hossa?
By Lynn Zinser of NYTimes

If the Penguins do not have enough money to offer Hossa, who is making $7 million this season, the Rangers may be in the bidding for him. He is a strong two-way player and seems to be the kind of finisher the Rangers could use on a line with center Scott Gomez.

If the Rangers keep him from returning to Pittsburgh, they would take a chunk out of the lineup of a division rival, one that looks as if it will be formidable for years to come.

The Rangers will probably have roster spots and salary-cap room available if any of their major free agents do not return. That list includes forwards Jaromir Jagr, Brendan Shanahan and Martin Straka.
Hossa certainly staged a good audition for the job.

Hatcher Playing Through the Pain
by Rob Parent of Delco Times


“These five days off should be good for me,” Hatcher said, referencing the ridiculous, TV-decreed waiting period until the Flyers and Penguins commence the Eastern Conference finals Friday night in Pittsburgh, “because I was getting a little worn down and beaten up. It’s just because I had been out for a long time, and then I came back (for the playoffs) and we end up playing every other night.”

Essentially, a fractured bone near the ankle had left him with one halfway good leg, with pain radiating up and down the other. Yet Hatcher has found the strength to return for a springtime renewal of a Flyers team that spent the prior spring bogged down in humiliation.
-
So, how is a guy a month shy of 36 supposed to renew his broken body to go along for the ride? Maybe it’s something you learn the longer you’re around.
-
“Just everyday wear and tear,” Hatcher said. “It hasn’t really had the chance to heal the way it should. And I don’t mean my ankle … more the rest of my body. I mean, from my hip flexors to my everything else. Coming back for me, it was like going zero-to-60 on a track.”
-
-
Don Cherry is Coming to Pittsburgh/ESPN
By William Houston of Globe and Mail


Don Cherry is taking his commentary and wardrobe south of the border, where he will make regular appearances on ESPN during the NHL's Eastern Conference final.
-
"I guess they like my jackets," the Hockey Night in Canada personality said yesterday.
-
Cherry and Hockey Night host Ron MacLean will leave the CBC's Toronto studio for the road to
cover the Philadelphia Flyers-Pittsburgh Penguins series, which will start on Friday.
-
Cherry will do live hits by remote for ESPN's SportsCentre at the end of each Flyers-Penguins game.
-
"When I'm finished with the wrap-up on Hockey Night, I'll do the ESPN spot," Cherry said. "Sherali [Najak, the executive producer of Hockey Night ] will help set it up for me."
-
Read the Rest of the Article:
http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080505.wtruth06/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home

Game 1 and 2 are SOLD OUT!
From Post-Gazette
-
The Penguins sold all remaining tickets for Games 1 and 2 of the Eastern Conference Finals against the Philadelphia Flyers. Approximately 2,000 tickets for each game went on sale to the public today at 10 a.m. and were sold in minutes.

Game 1 of the best-of-seven series will be played Friday at 7:30 p.m. at Mellon Arena. Game 2 will be played Sunday at 7:30 p.m.


Video of the Day - What a SAVE!



Kudos to:
-
BTW, The Pens Blog mentioned that we had a nice preview of the Pens vs. Flyers matchup. I'd like to say that I got the article from The Hockey News or http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/15798-The-Hockey-News-200708-NHL-Playoff-Preview-Round-3.html. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding and I will be posting the link from every article I get from the world wide web. Thanks.

No comments: